What is PAT testing?
Portable Appliance Testing (known as PAT) is the process of ensuring that electrical appliances are safe to use:
- Visual Inspection of Appliances: This includes checking the appliance for damage such as frayed cables, damaged plugs, loose parts, or signs of overheating.
- Electrical Tests of each Appliance: Various electrical tests are conducted to ensure that the appliance is safe to use. This might include tests for earth continuity, insulation resistance, and functionality.
- Appliance Labelling : After testing, appliances are typically labelled with a pass or fail sticker, and the details are recorded in a formal log, all stickers supplied by IES will be branded and have the date of inspection clearly marked on them.
- Certification: In many instances, a formal certificate is issued to confirm that the PAT testing has been carried out according to relevant standards. All cert from IES will be sent electronically on the day of the visit.
Get in touch with us today
If you are just looking to book a PAT as soon as possible please click the link below and fill out our enquiry form, please upload a picture of your current certificate which can lets us provide you with an accurate quote, failing that if you can let us know how many appliances you require to have tested we can issue you a quote.
We cover Edinburgh and the surrounding areas and aim to get back to you as swiftly as possible.
Thank you for reaching out!
What is classed as a portable appliance for PAT testing
A portable appliance that needs testing include any appliance that uses a flexible cable or a plug and socket that is intended to be moved, or can easily be moved. So for example kettles, TVs, washing machines and standard lamps are portable appliances.
How often should PAT tests be conducted?
Are you wondering how often does pat tests need to be done? For tenanted/rental properties the maximum is every 5-years, for commercial properties testing is recommended yearly.
PAT tests for landlords & businesses
Is PAT testing a legal requirement for landlords and businesses? Yes, PAT testing for landlords is an essential test required when renting out your property. Landlord PAT testing can be carried out by one of our engineers, please contact us today to find out more.
For offices, shops and commercial properties it is also a legal requirement to have valid PAT tests for your appliances to ensure safety for employees and the public.
Who should perform PAT tests?
PAT tests should be performed by competent and qualified electricians who have the knowledge and experience to conduct the tests accurately. This ensures that the appliances meet legal and safety standards.
Why choose Ideal as your PAT Testing company in Edinburgh?
Our fully qualified and insured engineers are ready to complete your next electrical project, whether you are a local residential homeowner, landlord, or letting agency.
Fully Trained and Qualified PAT Testers : Our team uses state-of-the-art testers, documenting results on an iPad, ensuring an efficient process and quick issuance of electronic certificates the same day as the test.
Fixed and Transparent Pricing : We offer fixed prices for smaller properties and per item pricing for larger ones. If additional certification is required, we provide cost savings reflecting the time spent on site.
Members of select: Our certifications and accreditations ensure the highest quality of service. SELECT is the trade association for the electrical contracting industry in Scotland. Founded in 1900, it works to represent the interests and promote the standards of its member companies. Being a member of SELECT we are often seen as a mark of quality and professionalism within the industry.
PAT Services Offered
Our Edinburgh-based PAT testing services are tailored to your needs, providing comprehensive testing that adheres to the strictest standards. Trust in our process and our award-winning team to ensure the safety and compliance of your portable appliances.
Pricing Info for PAT Testing
- Small Properties (like rental properties): Fixed price available
- Larger Properties: Per item pricing
- Additional Certification: Prices adjusted to reflect time spent on-site and cost saving passed to owner of the property.
PAT Testing testimonials
Take a look at what our customers think of our PAT testing service.
Very impressive and professional service, will book again for PAT testing and Electrical Installation services.”
Excellent service for Fire alarm, EICR and PAT testing work and certification
Professional, on time and good value. Will use again next year for PAT testing.
Common FAQ’s about PAT Testing
Read more about the common PAT testing questions we often get asked.
Yes, PAT testing is a legal requirement for all landlords and business owners.
Yes, landlords need to undertake PAT tests for appliances.
For tenanted/rental properties the maximum is 5-years, for commercial properties testing is recommended yearly.